Monday, April 30, 2007

Teach Me

Good morning and welcome to Our Daily Walk.

Audio version at http://tinyurl.com/yrzjbw

A small boy looks up at his father one Sunday morning as he’s getting dressed. His dad is tying his tie. Wanting to be like his dad, the young boy says, “Dad, will you teach me to tie a tie like you do?”

I can remember my father teaching me how to tie a tie. The first few tries were not very good. Too short, then too long, then it would seem as if my fingers wouldn’t work at all as they should. But eventually I was able to tie a tie without even thinking.

All through our lives we look around and see that others have a talent, skill or a bit of knowledge that we do not have. As these things appeal to us we instinctively wish to be taught about them.

What about you? Maybe you’ve seen someone with a card trick. Or maybe someone you know is able to do a magic trick or two. On a more practical side, perhaps as a young mother, you are looking to mothers of older children as you ask, “Can you teach me how you got everything done in a day?”

Teach me. Those words are beautiful to hear. They show that the person is interested in gaining knowledge. They also show that they are prepared to put that knowledge to use once they acquire it.

David writes about teaching in Psalm 119, the longest chapter in the Bible. Ten times he uses the word teach. In eight of those times he is asking God to teach him about His statutes, or ways. In the other two verses he is asking to be taught about good judgment and knowledge and also about judgments.

Listen to this passage from Psalm 119:129-136.

Your testimonies are wonderful; Therefore my soul keeps them. The entrance of Your words gives light; It gives understanding to the simple. I opened my mouth and panted, For I longed for Your commandments. Look upon me and be merciful to me, As Your custom is toward those who love Your name. Direct my steps by Your word, And let no iniquity have dominion over me. Redeem me from the oppression of man, That I may keep Your precepts. Make Your face shine upon Your servant, And teach me Your statutes. Rivers of water run down from my eyes, Because men do not keep Your law.

David was a man after God’s own heart. His words reflect the deep devotion of a person who is continually longing for knowledge and direction. In all his ways, David wishes to follow after God and be faithful.

Here is another passage earlier in the chapter in verses 33-40.

Teach me, O LORD, the way of Your statutes, And I shall keep it to the end. Give me understanding, and I shall keep Your law; Indeed, I shall observe it with my whole heart. Make me walk in the path of Your commandments, For I delight in it. Incline my heart to Your testimonies, And not to covetousness. Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things, And revive me in Your way. Establish Your word to Your servant, Who is devoted to fearing You. Turn away my reproach which I dread, For Your judgments are good. Behold, I long for Your precepts; Revive me in Your righteousness.

If the Lord will teach and give understanding David says that he will keep the law and the statutes. That is the heart of one who desires to learn and put that knowledge to use.

Why? Because David delights in the law and the commandments of the Lord. He doesn’t fight against it as some do today. He doesn’t want to learn about it so he can find loopholes somewhere to get out of it. David sees his knowledge of God’s will as salvation.

Turn us away from bad things and revive us in Your way! Help us all to learn to choose Your will and Your way over the ways of man. Teach us, O Lord.

On Our Daily Walk today, may we always be willing to be taught and to grow in our understanding and appreciation of God and His ways.

Our thought for the day: “If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.”

May God bless you on your daily walk.

© Our Daily Walk, Mike Baker, 2007. Permission is granted to copy these articles provided they are not sold and the author's name and copyright are included.

No comments: