Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The Lost Coin

Good morning and welcome to Our Daily Walk.

Audio version at http://tinyurl.com/2c86r5

A recent headline came across saying that since copper prices are rising, the actual value of a penny is now worth more than a penny. While that may cause some people to begin gathering their pennies and taking them to the metal buyers, most people won’t bother. After all, it’s just a penny.

I first learned the value of just one penny when I was in my teens. While working for my grandfather at his gas station I found a penny on the parking lot one day. It wasn’t mine, nor was it his. It was just a penny on the pavement.

This all happened back when we actually pumped the gas for customers. I would go out to wait on the customer and I always had a good assortment of currency in my pocket to make change. The relative value of that penny paled in comparison to the dozens of bills in my pocket.

After the customer left I picked up that penny and decided to see how far I could get it to roll on its edge. With great precision I gave it a toss and it rolled almost to the highway. Satisfied, I returned to the inside where my grandfather had been watching me.

He asked me about what I had done and I was quick to tell him that it was only a penny and it belonged to no one. I was just having fun with it.

Then he asked me if I knew what happened to pennies around that station. I replied that I did not.

My grandfather then explained that when the cash register section for pennies became full that he would take out 50 pennies and replace them with 2 quarters. Then he would put the pennies into a roll and put it into a drawer.

About twice a week my grandmother would stop by and would take the rolls of pennies out of this drawer. There were always several rolls there. She would take them down to the bank and put them into the Christmas fund.

Now, my grandfather had my undivided attention. I was finally starting to see how all of these pennies put together were starting to show some worth. Suddenly every penny I saw had a new value attached to it.

The Pharisees were complaining that Jesus was eating with tax collectors and sinners. They didn’t see the value in wasting one’s time with sinners. But these were the very people that needed Jesus. While the religious leaders wanted Jesus to see the value of the assembled righteous of the day, Jesus was busy finding the individuals who were lost and in need of salvation. Jesus knew that each one of them held equal value in the eyes of God.

In Luke 15:8-10 we find this parable of the lost coin.

Or what woman, having ten silver coins, if she loses one coin, does not light a lamp, sweep the house, and search carefully until she finds it? And when she has found it, she calls her friends and neighbors together, saying, “Rejoice with me, for I have found the piece which I lost!” Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.

This coin may have been part of a decorative headdress that the woman wore. Or it may have been part of her savings, her livelihood or her intended offering. Whatever the case, this woman was very distraught that one of her ten coins was lost.

Maybe it had slipped through her fingers. Or perhaps it had been neglected and was carelessly pushed aside with other items. But now it is out of place. Nine others are where they should be. Now she must find the one that is lost.

She lights up the room, sweeps every area and looks diligently until she finally finds that coin. Nine out of ten is not acceptable. Not until that last coin is found will joy be felt. Likewise, there is great joy over even one sinner who repents.

Every time I find a penny on the ground I’m reminded of how valuable each one of us is in the sight of God. And as I pick up that penny I make it my goal to introduce someone to Jesus that day.

On Our Daily Walk today, may we devote some time to thinking about how valuable each person really is to God. May we use our opportunities today to speak a good word for Jesus and perhaps help find one who has been lost.

Our thought for the day: “What we obtain too cheaply, we esteem too lightly. It is dearness, that gives everything its value.” Thomas Paine

May God bless you on your daily walk.

© Our Daily Walk, Mike Baker, 2007. Permission is granted to copy these articles provided they are not sold and the author's name and copyright are included.

No comments: