Saturday, September 15, 2007

Love Is Commanded

Good morning and welcome to Our Daily Walk.

Audio version at http://tinyurl.com/38ekgy

Siblings often find themselves on one another’s nerves. In fact, sometimes they can act pretty hateful toward one another. After all, they didn’t choose to be in that situation, they were born into it. But before long a parent is sure to separate the sparring siblings and send them to their respective rooms saying, “Now you spend some time in there thinking and when you can remember that you love each other then you can come out.”

Love is the ultimate goal in that situation. Where love is lacking, problems arise. The parent in that case was placing the siblings in a situation where they were to remember what part love plays in their relationship.

Jesus also reminds us about the importance of love in our relationships as well. Please consider our need to place our Savior’s wishes above our own as shown in Matthew 16:24-27.

Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works.”

Whatever Jesus asks us to do, we should be ready and willing to do it. Anything we gain apart from Him will be worthless to us.

Notice this passage in John 13:31-35 where Jesus actually commands that we love one another.

So, when he had gone out, Jesus said, “Now the Son of Man is glorified, and God is glorified in Him. If God is glorified in Him, God will also glorify Him in Himself, and glorify Him immediately. Little children, I shall be with you a little while longer. You will seek Me; and as I said to the Jews, ‘Where I am going, you cannot come,’ so now I say to you. A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Did you notice that? The world will know that we belong to Jesus by the love that we have for one another. Of course, the opposite would be true as well. If Christians can not or will not demonstrate their love to one another then what does that say about them to the world?

Finally, let us consider this wonderful passage from John 15:9-14 where Jesus defines the ultimate show of love.

As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.

These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full. This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends. You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.

I love that passage! Jesus gave the ultimate price in His love for us. That’s the ultimate price for friendship. And we can partake of that friendship if we will do whatever He has commanded. In this passage the command is love.

On Our Daily Walk today, may we demonstrate our love to Jesus by showing our love to others. May we find the joy of Jesus in us and feel our own joy as we freely give our love to others, especially those who do not deserve it.

Our thought for the day: “The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost.” G. K. Chesterson

May God bless you on your daily walk.

© Our Daily Walk, Mike Baker, 2007. Permission is granted to copy these articles provided they are not sold and the author's name and copyright are included.

No comments: