Monday, September 17, 2007

Renew Our Spirit

Good morning and welcome to Our Daily Walk.

Audio version at http://tinyurl.com/2nwxen

Are these ever on your mind? “I don’t pray anymore.” “Worship has lost its meaning to me. I just feel like I’m going through the motions.” “I feel like there should be something more to all this.” “I don’t think I care anymore about the lost.” “Have I allowed my love for God to grow weak?”

We all need spiritual renewal from time to time. Even people in the Bible needed renewal. One such example was David. Listen to what he wrote shortly after Nathan had exposed David for his sins with Bathsheba. This is in Psalm 51:1-3.

Have mercy upon me, O God,

According to Your lovingkindness;

According to the multitude of Your tender mercies,

Blot out my transgressions.

Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,

And cleanse me from my sin.

For I acknowledge my transgressions,

And my sin is always before me.

Certainly sin causes a need for spiritual renewal. When we sin, and everyone does, we become out of step with God. We need to be renewed.

Renewal is needed if we have stopped growing or don’t anticipate the joy of living for God. Some become apathetic toward the work or mission of the church. They no longer find joy in looking to God’s word or God’s people. Renewal of spirit is needed.

Renewal is also needed when we see “dreary duty” of God instead of “sanctified service.” This often occurs in a person that is going through the motions of worship or Christian living instead of concentrating on living a godly life each day.

So how can we renew our spirit? Renewal cannot be forced, dictated or commanded. A church leader or preacher cannot twist your arm and make you be renewed spiritually. It must start within each of us. We see the need, and then we seek renewal from God.

To renew your spirit simplify your life. Untangle the complexities and focus on the main things. Keep first things first. Your soul is more important than your job. Keep God at the top of your list.

Moses writes the following excellent instruction in Deuteronomy 10:12-13.

And now, Israel, what does the LORD your God require of you, but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all His ways and to love Him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to keep the commandments of the LORD and His statutes which I command you today for your good?

What is it that the Lord requires of us? Notice those five important foundations that Moses included. 1. Fear the Lord. 2. Walk in His ways. 3. Love Him. 4. Serve Him with all of your heart and soul. 5. Keep the commandments.

I would suspect that each of us would find at least one of these areas lacking when our spirits are in need of renewal. Perhaps we no longer fear or respect God as we should. Then our spiritual life will suffer. Or maybe we choose to walk our own path instead of the one He illuminates for us. Then too our spiritual life will suffer.

In a world with so many problems why would we want to create more problems by turning our backs on God? I know that we don’t intentionally do this—at least not all the time. But, friends, when there is a spiritual deficiency in our lives it is not because of a lack of power on God’s part. It is because we have become disconnected from our spiritual source. Are you in need of spiritual renewal today? Look to God.

On Our Daily Walk today, may we determine to look to God and His word today in order to lift and renew our spirits. May we learn to help others find renewal as well in their lives as we continue to strengthen our own spiritual lives.

Our thought for the day: “A place of worship should be of such character that it is easy for men to find God and difficult for them to forget Him.”

May God bless you on your daily walk.

© Our Daily Walk, Mike Baker, 2007. Permission is granted to copy these articles provided they are not sold and the author's name and copyright are included.

No comments: